This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for details.
I think there’s something so inspiring about reading travel quotes to spark some wanderlust into our lives.
I know, more than most, how terrifying it can be to travel solo if you’ve never done it before.
But, once I took that leap, I’ve never looked back. I’ve been happily travelling around the world by myself ever since!
Now, six years later, I run my own business as a solo female travel blogger.
Looking back, I remember flicking through about a million solo travel quotes to remind me why I wanted to go and how I had the power in myself to do it.
I really did find courage in these powerful words of wisdom and I continue to use these travelling alone quotes on my own social media all the time.
That’s why I wanted to share them with you!
I’ve hand-picked these 75 empowering solo travel quotes which should (hopefully) motivate you to book that solo trip!
The 75 best solo travel quotes
Here is the very best collection of uplifting quotes on solo travel that I absolutely love!
I have used many of these myself on my own social media channels over the years.
Feel free to save these by copying and pasting them on your own social media accounts.
Or follow along with my solo adventures @thirdeyetraveller on Instagram!
Short & sweet solo travel quotes
- “Some journeys can be only traveled alone!” – Ken Poirot
- “Travel far enough, you meet yourself.” – David Mitchell
- “Go solo, go far!” – Unknown
4. “Travel is an investment in yourself” – Anonymous
5. “To travel is to take a journey into yourself.” – Danny Kaye
6. “Travel only with thy equals or thy betters; if there are none, travel alone.” – Buddha
7. “The best trip is the journey you take in finding yourself.” – Angela Vallely
8. “Travel doesn’t become adventure until you leave yourself behind” – Marty Rubin
9. “Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.” – Lovelle Drachman
10. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” – Neale Donald Walsch
11. “Wherever you go, go with all your heart!” – Confucius
12. “Surely, of all the wonders of the world, the horizon is the greatest.” Freya Stark
13. “Don’t be scared to walk alone. Don’t be scared to like it.” – John Mayer
14. “You must go on adventures to find out where you belong.” – Sue Fitzmaurice
15. “I wondered why it was that places are so much lovelier when one is alone.” – Daphne Du Maurier
16. “Adventure can be an end in itself. Self-discovery is the secret ingredient.” – Grace Lichtenstein
17. “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” – Susan Sontag
18. “You have to get lost before you can be found” – Jeff Rasley
19. “Dare to live the life you always wanted” – Unknown
20. “The inner journey of travel is intensified by solitude.” – Paul Theroux
21. “I can and I will, watch me” Carrie Green
22. “Not all those who wander are lost” – J.R.R Tolkien
23. “If you make friends with yourself you will never be alone.” – Maxwell Maltz
Exciting solo travel quotes
24. “Without new experiences something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken.” – Frank Herbert
25. “Solo travel not only pushes you out of your comfort zone, it also pushes you out of the zone of others’ expectations.” – Suzy Strutner.
26.“To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world. You are surrounded by adventure.” —Freya Stark
27. “Traveling—it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta
28. “Who goes alone can start today; but who travels with another must wait till that other is ready” – Henry David Thoreau
29. “I see my path, but I don’t know where it leads. Not knowing where I’m going is what inspires me to travel it. – Rosalia De Castro
30. “Traveling solo does not always mean you’re alone. Most often, you meet marvellous people along the way and make connections that last a lifetime.” – Jacqueline Boone
31. “The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand
32. “Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” – Michael Palin
33. “I am never happier than when I am alone in a foreign city; it is as if I had become invisible.” – Storm Jameson
34. “Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.” – Dalai Lama
Inspiring travel alone quotes for conquering fear
35. “Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.” – Helen Keller
36. “You do not travel if you are afraid of the unknown, you travel for the unknown, that reveals you with yourself.” – Ella Maillart
37. “I think one travels more usefully when they travel alone, because they reflect more.” —Thomas Jefferson
38.“Not I, nor anyone else can travel that road for you. You must travel it by yourself.” —Walt Whitman
39. “Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.” – David McCullough Jr.
40. “In the end, we only regret the chances we didn’t take.” – Lewis Carroll
41. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller
42. “A ship is safe in the harbor, but that’s not what ships are built for.” – Gael Attal
43. “I learned my strengths and my weaknesses. I experienced the exhileration of the ups and the despairs of the lows and most of the feelings in between… I learned courage and I learned it myself” – Ann Stirk
44. “I’m not afraid of storms, for I’m learning how to sail my ship.” – Mary Louise Alcott
45. “I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.” – Rosa Parks
46. “If you don’t go after what you want, you’ll never have it. If you don’t ask, the answer is always no. If you don’t step forward, you’re always in the same place” – Nora Roberts
Life changing & motivational solo travel quotes
47. “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.”― Jack Kerouac
48.“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
49. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – Saint Augustine
50. “Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live in?” – Caroline Myss
51. “The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before.” – Albert Einstein
52. “To travel is worth any cost or sacrifice.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
53. “Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” – Mary Oliver
54. “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
Riding solo quotes
55. “You are the one that possesses the keys to your being. You carry the passport to your own happiness.” – Diane Von Furstenberg
56. “The more I travelled the more I realised that fear makes strangers of people who should be friends” – Shirley MacLaine
57. “Nobody can discover the world for somebody else. Only when we discover it for ourselves does it become common ground and a common bond and we cease to be alone.” – Wendell Berry
58. “It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default.” – J. K. Rowling
59. “If you don’t get out of the box you’ve been raised in, you won’t understand how much bigger the world is” – Angelina Jolie
60. “There is a kind of magicness about going far away and then coming back all changed” – Kate Douglas Wiggin
61. “I always wonder why birds stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth. Then I ask myself the same question” – Harun Yahya
62. “If you have to wait for someone to travel with you, you may end up waiting a lifetime!” – Unknown
Solo female travel quotes
63. “As a woman I have no country. As a woman my country is the whole world.” – Virginia Woolf
64. “When a woman becomes her own best friend life is easier.” – Diane Von Furstenberg
65. “Never did the world make a queen of a girl who hides in houses and dreams without traveling.” – Roman Payne
66. “I hope the fathers and mothers of little girls will look at them and say ‘yes, women can.” – Dilma Rousseff
67. “She remembered who she was and the game changed.” – Lalah Delia
68. “Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere.” – Mae West
69. “Women need real moments of solitude and self-reflection to balance out how much of ourselves we give away.” – Barbara De Angelis
70. “Some beautiful paths can’t be discovered without getting lost.” – Erol Ozan
Funny solo travel quotes
71. “I’m sorry for what I said when I wasn’t travelling” – Unknown
72. “I need a six month vacation, twice a year” – Anonymous
73. “The only aisle I want to be walking down is on a plane” – Unknown
74. “You can’t buy happiness but you can buy a plane ticket and that’s kind of the same thing” – Uknown
75. “I was amazed that what I needed to survive could be carried on my back. And, most surprising of all, that I could carry it.” – Cheryl Strayed
I hope you enjoyed this list of the best solo travel quotes!
So, that’s all folks. Those are the 75 most inspiring travelling alone quotes.
I hope you found them useful and feel free to use any of them on your own social media accounts!
If you do need any more motivation or reasons why you should travel solo. Feel free to contact me or write a comment below. I’ll be happy to provide some advice.
At the end of the day, you’ll never regret taking yourself on an exciting adventure. So, have faith and go for it!
Friday 28th of January 2022
Loved it! I enjoyed reading your quotes. Stepping out into the unknown with no one else to rely on, you come to learn to learn so much about yourself. Often these solo trips are life-changing adventures. Fav one “Solo travel not only pushes you out of your comfort zone, it also pushes you out of the zone of others’ expectations”, well said. Sometimes I write about the quotes too.
Saturday 29th of January 2022
Hi Dragana, thanks so much for sharing! I totally agree! Sophie x